Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Paige Avery born August 13, 2010

I had a midwife appt on Thursday August 12. NST looked good, u/s looked good. I was dialted to 3 and had her sweep my membranes. After that I was pretty crampy and having contractions, but nothing consistent ant timeable. Since my mom was going to fly in to be here to stay with Jacob and we knew that it really wasn't going to be much longer we just decided for her to fly in that day. She arrived around 7:30 that evening.

Around 3:30am the morning of the 13th I woke up having some somewhat intense contractions. The progressed and I timed them at about 7-10 minutes apart. At 5am I got out of bed and called Felissa. Told her that they were pretty consistent and that I was having to breathe through them as they were painful. It's funny because I told her that I was pretty sure it was going to be today, but not anything within the next couple hours.

I tried to lie back down but that wasn't working so I just got up. After putting around the house they really started to pick up quickly and I was starting to need to be vocal through them. I called the midwife on duty and said that I was wanting to head into the hospital so that I wouldn't scare Jacob while I was working through the contractions. We talked about how I was feeling, she asked if I was feeling pressure and I said no. She said it sounded like I still had time, but I could head in if I wanted to and that I should call Felissa and have her come over.

I called Lissa and she said that she was going to head on over and for me to get into the shower to help with the contractions. By this time they were pretty intense!! I stayed in the shower until the hot water ran out. I remember thinking that God I hope Lissa got there soon so she could help me through these.

She did, and by this time I was dressed and sitting on my knees on the floor leaning over the couch. I was nauseas and just feeling yucky. Mom got Jacob dressed and headed out so he wouldn't be scared. Lissa timed my contractions and they were about 3 minutes apart so we left for the hospital.

thank God because just as we were turning onto the side street to get to the woman's section I had a big contraction and felt pressure. It was intense!! Mike dropped me off and Lissa met me in the hallway. In the elevator I had another one with pressure. I got to the counter and signed it; it was 7:17 am.

They got me into the room where right away I had another one. I was gripping the counter swaying and feeling such intense pressure. I said that I needed them to check me because I was feeling the urge to push. I stripped my pants off and lied down on my left side on the bed. Nurse checked me and I was at 9 already!!!

My midwife Bethany got there within just a minute or two, or at least felt that way for me! She checked me again and I was complete. She said that she was going to break my water so we could deliver within the next 1-2 contractions.

After just a couple contractions she started crowning. Looking back now it's hard to remember the pain, but I know it was there I remember her saying that I just needed to push through the pain. I was gripping the side of the bed. They wanted me to hold my leg but holding onto the bed felt much better. I got to feel her head crowning with my hand. 

I remember at one point Bethany asked Mike if he had his camera and to get it out. He said he left it in the car and should he go get it. She said no that he would miss it if he went.

Not much longer and she was out!! I think with maybe 3 contractions. It felt wonderful to have her out! They put her on my chest and let me look to see boy or girl; once I saw I said "oh it's a girl!! I knew you were a girl the whole time!"

Such an intense feeling and now it was over!! I was tired but I felt good. Just a small tear along where I had my episiotomy with Jacob, such a small tear that she didn't even have to stitch it.

She nursed right away, for almost an hour!! She's doing great nursing. She does have a little mucous in her tummy so she's sleeping in the nursery right now so that they could watch her to make sure she didn't choke on it. 

Her stats were: born at 7:39am; 8 lbs and 20" long.

No comments: