Thursday, February 26, 2009

crib training

It's been way past time to get Jacob to start sleeping in his crib. He used to after he got too big for the bassinett part of the play pen, but then we went to CA for a visit and man was it so much easier to have him in bed with me due to his nursing at night. So there is started, and we've been like that ever since.

Sunday was the first night he slept in his crib. I decided that I was going to do a modified version of CIO (cry it out), but I would stay in the room until he was asleep. So here's how the first night went:
nursed and rocked to sleep. continued to rock him until I knew he was out then transferred him to his crib. I turned on his Rainforest crib toy and told him is was ok, it was just time to go to sleep. Then I sat in the rocker. He cried for 15 minutes. The hardest part was when he was reaching out for me!!

Anyway, so after he cried for his 15 minutes, he sat down and watched his toy. Well, he fell asleep sitting up poor little guy!! I would try to lay him down when I knew he was out, but he would wake up and sit up again. So I just let him sleep sitting up.
About 10 Mike went in and was able to lay him down. I take Jacob into his room to start our process at about 7:45, I forgot to mention that part. Well, that first night, he slept through the night!!!! I was so shocked!! I didn't sleep very well but I was so happy! He didn't wake up until 7am!!

Night 2, much like night 1 except he only cried for like 1 minute!!!! And he laid himself down instead of falling asleep sitting up. He slept until 7am that night too!

Night 3, same as before; except he woke at 4:45, and I nursed him to sleep, put him in his crib, he cried, I stayed, he fell asleep, I went back to my room. Up for the day around 7.

Night 4, last night, much like night 3. So here we are on night 5, and someone did not want to go to sleep tonight!! But that's because he fought taking his morning nap so he took a long afternoon nap therefore not so tired at 7:45. But he's asleep now and all is well. Mom is tired herself tonight and is ready to go climb in her preheated bed.

2 comments:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Sounds like he was ready! :)

Danea Burleson said...

That's great! And things will be so much easier on you now that he's sleeping in his own bed, especially when he starts napping in there too, or is he doing that too now? I don't know how I would survive without that little break in my day. I call it freedom , but it's really just time to try and get a bit of the dirtier side of life taken care of...haha.

Oh uh, and make the occasional comment on a blog...LOL.